2 December 2013

Wise guy / Kavalpea








On an early spring day in a courtyard of an apartment building in downtown I met this four-legged friend covered with red faux leather. It was peering at me shyly out of pile of snow, hiding from a garbage truck.

I approached slowly while keeping constant eye contact with it. When I was close enough I stretched out my right hand and, to gain its trust, I showed him my empty palm. I reached for it and there it was – in my strong grip. I took it out of the snow and wiped it clean. Got it!

Despite the harsh winter and severe hardships this Wise guy was still quite good-looking and with a strong physique. Honest, hard-working and probably had been faithful to his master until the end.

I doubt it had any twin brothers or sisters. It was alone, with its unique design and a bomb-proof structure of reinforcement bars. Handcrafted, made by someone unknown to us, but certainly by a craftsman with a creative soul.

Unfortunately, it would have been too massive in the apartment, and although I wanted to I couldn’t take Wise guy with me. The ideal home for it would have been garage with a concrete floor, where the sparks of cutting disc, oily fingerprints and a smell of spray paints would test it day by day by confirming its reliability and durability.

May this short essay be a tribute to a craftsman who performed his work with all his heart. At least now, archived in Internet, one of his works will be out there forever.

________________________________________________
Punase kunstnahaga neljajalgset sõpra kohtasin ma varakevadisel päeval ühes kesklinna kortermajade sisehoovis. Ta piilus mind arglikult lumehunniku seest, kuhu oli talvel prügiauto eest peitu pugenud.

Ma lähenesin aeglasel sammul hoides temaga pidevat silmsidet. Kui olin piisavalt lähedal sirutasin välja oma parema käe ja võitmaks usaldust näitasin talle oma tühja peopesa. Ta ei jõudnud liigutadagi, kui oli juba minu tugevas haardes. Tõstsin ta sügava lume seest välja ja pühkisin puhtaks. Käes!

Hoolimata karmist talvest ja rasketest üleelamistest oli kavalpea väga kobeda välimuse ja tugeva kehaehitusega. Aus, töökas ja olnud oma peremehele truu kuni lõpuni.

Vaevalt tal oli kaksikvendi ja –õdesid. Ta oli üks, oma ainulaadse disaini ja pommikindla armatuurvarrastest konstruktsiooniga. Tehtud käsitööna, kellegi meie jaoks tundmatu, kuid vaieldamatult suure loomehingega meistrimehe poolt.

Kahjuks linnakorterisse oleks ta olnud liiga massiivne ja kuigi ma oleksin tahtsin, ei saanud ma Kavalpead enda juurde võtta. Ideaalne kodu oleks olnud ta jaoks betoonpõrandaga autogaraaž, kus lõikkeketta sädemed, õlised näpujäljed ja aerosoolvärvide lehk paneksid teda päevast päeva proovile kinnitades ta töökindlust ja vastupidavust teiste liigikaaslaste ees.

Olgu see kirjatükk aumärgiks meistrile, kes tegi oma tööd kindla peale ja hingest. Nüüdsest internetti arhiveerituna jääb vähemalt üks Tema teostest igaveseks.

No comments:

Post a Comment